Thursday, February 18, 2010

"i love being a film major..."

I seem to tell myself that a few times a week.  I feel like I'm horrible at school, or at least I've gotten worse at it since working 2 jobs for a long time, and while you can slack at school and still get along, but you can't ever be late for work.

I think "removed" has been mentioned before, and while I haven't seen it before, I've thought about and imagined it several times since then.  Really interesting to finally see (and love).

Our little collaboration piece today also turned out really well!  Ah, the very reasons as to why I've come to love being a film student at CU.  As much as I feel I haven't learned anything on the production side, the amount of fairly sweet experimental films we've watched (and made!) make up for a lot of it.

I thought I might be getting sick, but turns out my new medication has the sweet side effects of: dizziness, drowsiness, irritability, runny nose, sore throat, tiredness, vomiting, and weakness.  Awesome.

3 comments:

  1. well that beats a full grand mal seizure though doesn't it? I suppose I don't really know that much about it, but look on the bright side, right?

    I could go on for days about the myriad disappointments I have encountered during the CU program, and the smattering of incredibly redeeming moments that keep me from quitting and living a life of counterculture rebellion in an artists commune in the woods somewhere...but that's about as much as I want to discuss it right now. Maybe after I graduate I can write a book about why going to college right after high school is not quite the best plan for 99% of my fellow Americans.

    Anyway! feel better Jeri, modern medicine is survivable, and you could always get some eastern medicine (acupuncture, herbs, etc..) to try to balance it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all i have to say is that everyone is disappointed all the time about everything. All we really want to learn is how to be happy, and no one can teach us that! Meanwhile you learn alot every day. And you get to hang out with me, for example, who journeyed far from her home to come here and be with you and show and tell about the things I do and make and read and see and think about, and we get to think about them together and make stuff while we are thinking. It really doesn't get any better than that. Anyone can learn how to shoot a damn camera, it takes like 10 minutes of instruction, but a lifetime of practice. YOur creative life will be long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Film School," for a lot of people is the only time when you can have an experience like the collaborative one we had. We got a lot of chances to do things that we wouldn't ordinarily do, to try different things. And though you can try them out on your own, you won't get the satisfaction of showing it to a group of your friends and peers to hear what worked and what could've worked better...the next day! I think that's really what i like about being a film major, just the different people you meet and become friends with, based solely on the fact that you both love film. That's something I don't think other majors have....they're just so serious.

    ReplyDelete